Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Here is one of my most innovative pieces. For this piece I was experimenting with diluted paints in order to see what would occur when i would tilt the canvas and let gravity take its course. In order to create this I first laid a heavy layer of gesso and then drew in the image of the sun as to how I wanted it. from here a pallet knife was used to place a heavy layer below the sun to create the jagged image of the earth. In order to dilute the paint as to how I wanted it I would use an old household cleaning spray bottle and spray the water and acrylic onto the canvas and begin manipulating it by tilting it and moving it and shaking it. this was done multiple times with multiple colors. From here I used a black india ink and calligraphy pen and splattered and dug in the inks across the bottom. With this water color pencils were also used to create a watery effect. In order to completely seal the deal a clear coat acrylic glaze medium was placed across this water color india ink combination. After a few coats of the glaze I began to slap the brush in these areas which caused actual bubbles to form. I left the bubbles to dry outside which then became 3 dimensional. this piece is currently hanging at Trattoria 225 in Oak Park Illinois.


2 comments:

  1. Something about this piece just draws me in to stare at it for a long time. Big Thumbs Up Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. That is what I was going for. I wanted to create something that the viewer could get lost in.

    ReplyDelete